The corporate media usually don't give much coverage to stories which suggest that politicians should move towards the left. That's why this item on one of ABC News' blogs was quite refreshing. (bolding mine)
Here’s how: Current estimate is that 90 million people voted. Exit poll says 45 percent were Obama voters in 2008. That’s 40.5 million voters.
In 2008, Obama won 69.5 million votes. So about 29 million Obama voters did not show up in 2010.
Exit poll also says 45 percent of people who voted yesterday were McCain voters in 2008, again 40.5 million. That, vs. his nearly 60 million in 2008, means about 19.5 million McCain voters did not show up.
So Obama had nearly 10 million more no-shows.
Does this surprise anyone? Let's look at some things Obama did which discouraged Democrats and Democratic leaning independents from showing up to vote.
1) Continuing to practice torture at Guantanamo and throughout the world.
2) Dragging out the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars.
3) Fighting for the military ban and for DOMA in court, even to the point of making appeals that the Administration was under no legal or ethical obligation to make.
4) Comparing homosexuality to bestiality and necrophilia in court briefs defending DOMA.
5) Making banksters a much higher priority than jobs.
6) Refusing to prosecute criminals merely because they were rich and well connected (e.g., Bush Regime war criminals, banksters, brokesters).
7) Siding with British Petroleum against the environment and the people in the Gulf Coast.
8) Pushing through the same brutal wealthcare plan that the GOP would have passed if they were in control of Congress and the White House.
9) Doing nothing to protect the right to choose on abortion.
10) Expanding Bush's unconstitutional office of hate based initiatives.
11) Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in Cabinet level appointments.
12) Participating in the National Hate Breakfast and pandering to fundamentalist hate mongers like Rick Warren.
13) Sabre rattling with Iran and Venezuela.
14) Putting Global Warming on the backburner and making roads a higher priority than rail in the stimulus plan.
I could go on endlessly about the GOP policies that the President has continued or expanded on, but you get the point. Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and the rest of the DC "Democrats" did everything they could to send a message to Democratic voters and liberal independents that voting makes absolutely no difference.
Roughly 29,000,000 Obama voters got that message.