• I am a homo. That is a good thing. I am a liberal. That is a good thing.
    Everyone is godless. I belong to the minority that has figured this out.

Partial Listing of Bush Regime Policies Obama Has Continued Or Expanded

Get the Facts on Obama's Wealthcare Plan for the HMOs and Health Insurers

About Me, Me, Me!

I am the epitome of evil to the Religious Right....OK, so is at least 60% of the U.S. population.

Followers!

"Google Bombs"

Blog Archive!

Labels!

I'm Boycotting Kellogg's

Posted by libhom Friday, February 06, 2009

From the LA Times Blogs 2/5/09.

Cereal and snack manufacturer Kellogg's has announced that it will not renew its sponsorship contract with Olympic champion swimmer Michael Phelps

The reason? According to AP, because Phelps acknowledged smoking marijuana in a bong pipe. Duh.

The company claims that Phelps's behavior — caught on camera and published last Sunday in Britain's News of the World — was "not consistent with the image of [Kellogg's]."

What image? Are they talking about their image as a bunch of asswipes?

I can't smoke pot myself, but I have no animus towards people who can. People who object to pot have no pleasure in their lives and are filled with envy towards anyone who actually is enjoying herself or himself.

So much money and so many lives are wasted on marijuana laws that serve no legitimate purpose. Those laws would have been repealed years ago if not for childish people like the ones who run Kellogg's.

There's also the issue of hypocrisy. Considering how much Kellogg's does to get children addicted to sugar, they are in no position to judge anyone on smoking pot.

I never thought much either way about Michael Phelps before this. (Sorry mos, I prefer guys closer to my own middle age.) But, Kellogg's corporate behavior is so irresponsible. As Laura Penny, author of the brilliant book Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit has pointed out, the "War on Drugs" is really a War on Some Drugs.

Drug companies are constantly pushing mind altering and mood altering pharmaceuticals such as Prozac. Kellogg's itself is pushing sugar as a mood altering drug. Fast food companies use sugar and other food ingredients as mood altering drugs too. The only thing that determines the legality of a drug is the power of the corporate interests behind it or the lack thereof.

I'm boycotting Kellogg's products (including Carr's, Cheez-It, Keebler, Famous Amos, and Morningstar Farms) until the following conditions are met.

1) Kellogg's reverses its decision.

2) Kellogg's publicly apologizes.

3) Kellogg's runs commercials on all the major broadcast and cable news networks calling for the legalization of marijuana.

Can we have just a little corporate responsibility please?

 

8 comments

  1. JayV Says:
  2. Corporate responsibility be damned. You may get a kick out of this:

    Dennis Perrin Forgive And Cash In

    http://dennisperrin.blogspot.com/2009/02/forgive-and-cash-in.html

     
  3. Hrag Says:
  4. I'm boycotting too...they are ridiculous!

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. I don't think I buy any of their products to begin with, but I won't for sure now. This is just absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell is he hurting and who the hell really cares?

     
  7. Mauigirl Says:
  8. I'm with you. I think it is ridiculous too.

     
  9. DC Says:
  10. I agree its time our nations companies stop placating to the extreme right

    this site has just went up and is detailing the whole brouhaha

    http://thekelloggboycott.com

     
  11. Thanks for the link to the new site, DC. High fives to GLH for continuing dedication to truth, justice and the American Way!!

     
  12. Rob Young Says:
  13. Here here. 34% of people in the US have tried pot. The difference is that Phelps got caught.

    No one else but USA Swimming and Kellogs cared -- they thought he was sterling, y'know? He apologized, said "My Bad," and these anal groups still threw a temper tantrum.

    (Just had an entry on this subject on my blog, if you give a shit -- http://www.utahliberal.com)

    Nice to meet you, btw. I like yer blog, and I'll be checking back frequently.

     
  14. Lew Scannon Says:
  15. But I can't live with out my Pop-Tarts!
    Seriously, I gave up eating that processed crap a while ago. I wish the corpocracy would stop trying to foist their faux morality on people by punishing those who fail to march in lock step with policies that have failed.

     

Search!



Facebook Fan Box!


More Links!





blogarama - the blog directory