• I am a homo. That is a good thing. I am a liberal. That is a good thing.
    Everyone is godless. I belong to the minority that has figured this out.

Partial Listing of Bush Regime Policies Obama Has Continued Or Expanded

Get the Facts on Obama's Wealthcare Plan for the HMOs and Health Insurers

About Me, Me, Me!

I am the epitome of evil to the Religious Right....OK, so is at least 60% of the U.S. population.

Followers!

"Google Bombs"

Blog Archive!

Labels!

Brown's Victory in MA Should Push Democrats to the Left

Posted by libhom Thursday, January 21, 2010

sign that says left lane must turn leftThe Massachusetts Senate race shows the problem with Democrats governing like Republicans. Let's look at a key aspect of the race: turnout. Corporate media outlets focused mostly on high turnout among older, white, heterosexual males in the suburbs, who are the only people that the corporate media really think count. But, they glossed over the low turnout among Democratic voters.

Corporate outlets repeated stated that turnout was high, without saying what that turnout actually was. That immediately should make one suspicious. The few that mentioned any specifics, chose preelection estimates that were highly vague. The lack of actual facts shows that we are being lied to.

The reality is that Republicans are angry because there is a man who is half black in the White House. That will energize them to vote against Democrats no matter how much Obama, Reid, Schumer, Gillibrand, etc govern as conservatives. Independents who are not ideological are angry about the lack of jobs and will vote for whatever party is out of power for the moment, though the improving economy should change that by the time November arrives.

The big problem is that liberals are disgusted, angry, and demoralized by the Republican style governing by the Democrats. There was no Green Party candidate on the ballot, so I wouldn't have bothered to vote in the Massachusetts Senate race. Instead, I would have used my time more productively by contacting Democrats and letting them know why I didn't vote for the Democrat in the race.

I have been betrayed by the Democrats in so many ways. I have been screwed over as:

- A gay man

- An atheist

- A liberal

- A union member

- A middle class American

- An opponent of the Iraq War

- Someone who was denied needed care by a health insurer

- A gun crime victim

- Someone who opposes Christian religious extremism

If the Democrats want to win back my support and the support of many from their core constituencies who they have utterly betrayed, they better start acting like Democrats. I prefer to vote for Democrats, but I will gladly vote for Greens over Republicans pretending to be Democrats. Nobody owns my vote except me. I'm not going to be cheap and easy for corrupt, heterosexist, misogynist, war mongering, racist politicians.

Photo: See-ming Lee 李思明 SML

 

2 comments

  1. Mike Says:
  2. Should go left, but sadly won't. You just know that the Rahm Emanuel types, who are in charge, will see result as proof that the ship must continue to be steered rightward.

    Gore Vidal used to say (maybe still does) that there really is just one party in mainstream U.S. politics, with conservative and reactionary wings. That's still true, which makes me glad to live in a country with real choice.

     
  3. Jimmy Says:
  4. In the likelihood that real healthcare reform is dead, I'm setting here seething and telling myself that I may never vote Democrat again. Beyond giving them the White House and super-majorities in congress, I don't know what the hell else they need to get the job done.
    I have never witnessed such sorry excuses for leadership as are Obama, Pelosi and Reid. Phonies all.

     

Search!



Facebook Fan Box!


More Links!





blogarama - the blog directory