Barack Bush's Cat Food Commission is being marketed as a "deficit commission." The sales strategy is to claim that slashing Social Security and Medicare are necessary to reduce deficits and are the only options.
That is absolute nonsense. Here are some of the far superior options for deficit reduction that are off the table for the Cat Food Commission, proving what a lie the whole thing is.
- Repealing corporate controlled trade agreements like NAFTA, CAFTA, and the GATT agreement that created the WTO which reduce tariff revenues (Tariffs traditionally have been major sources of revenue for governments.)
- Repealing the tax cuts for the rich that passed under Reagan, Carter, and Kennedy
- An immediate and full withdrawal from Iraq
- An immediate and full withdrawal from Afghanistan/Pakistan
- An end to covert operations in Iran
- End of all aid to Israel
- End of aid and support for the fascist dictatorship in Colombia
- Eliminating tax deductions which only rich people can take advantage of
- Closing most military bases abroad
- Legalization of Marijuana
- Sentencing crack like other cocaine
- Repealing cuts in corporate taxes that have passed in recent decades
- Taxing capital gains (other than primary home sales) like income actually earned by working
- Cut back on wasteful military spending
- Cut back on wasteful and unconstitutional homeland security spending
- Instituting a luxury tax
- Legalization of gambling
- Legalization of prostitution
Somehow, these options for deficit reduction never get considered by "deficit hawks" in DC and in the corporate media. Their beloved Cat Food Commission is all about robbing the middle class and poor and giving money to the rich.
Psycho Woman Throws Knives At Children
5 years ago