If it wasn't for Democracy Now!, I wouldn't have even heard about this story.
GOP Candidate Paladino Questioned over $3M Tax Breaks
In political news, New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino is coming under criticism for receiving $3 million in tax breaks by promising to create more jobs in the Buffalo area. According to an investigation by the New York Daily News, Paladino created only twenty-five jobs. To justify tax breaks in one instance, he sold a dozen vacant lots he owned to himself and then claimed hundreds of thousands of dollars in “real property investments.” Paladino is a multi-millionaire real estate developer backed by the tea party. He has campaigned on a platform attacking government spending.
Every news outlet in the state and all the national news media should have picked up this story. They should be pressing Paladino on this scandal. Here are some of the questions he should be asked.
1) Did he pull any strings to get this deal?
2) Are sleazy tax breaks for the rich how he plans on cleaning up Albany?
3) Can he be taken seriously when he says he wants to clean up the MTA?
4) Will he support an independent investigation of this deal?
5) Why did he accept a bailout of his real estate business?
Reporters should be doing the research to find out what government services were cut to pay for this bailout. How many jobs were lost?
The corporate media seem to have little interest in doing their jobs.